veadotube mini 1.4! it's out now! happy international hug a deer day!
it's been a while since we last saw each other in here, as i was focusing on the full version for a while. but as i'm taking a break from it i thought it was time to take a bunch of the code improvements that were made in that version and put them in mini and add a few nice touches :]
so this one is not huge feature-wise, save for the new display settings menu, which you can access through the button that was previously only used to change the background colour. it includes a few new things you can do:
- hide interface! if the UI hiding behaviour wasn't precise enough for you, you can now forcibly set it to hide until you click on the app again.
- pixelate images! you can now set the image mode to Sharp instead of Smooth, which means you no longer have to resize your pixel avatars.
- Spout2 support! this one is windows 64-bit only: you can now stream your avatar directly to OBS through the Spout2 interface.
now for the behind-the-scenes fixes and improvements:
- complete microphone system rewrite! if your microphone didn't work well with mini, now it should! (shoutout to the HÖNK dev, we somewhat helped each other with this one)
- better hotkey behaviour! the hotkey mode "enter on press, leave on release" should work with multiple states now.
- autosave improvements! which here means you shouldn't lose your automatically saved avatar as much as you did before (make sure to always manually save your avatar though!)
- new image formats supported! including .psd and other project files. also .webp for some reason.
- image display improvements! mini should have less of that grey border around images, as well as larger images shouldn't look too blurry anymore.
- memory & performance improvements! done through a mix of treating images in memory a bit better and exporting the app with IL2CPP.
- new .veadomini format! which isn't compatible with previous versions but seeks to fix just that sort of lack of compatibility for future versions. also you can now open them as if they were .zip files to retrieve your images. convenient!
if you're on windows, you might also notice the window title shows the time the app opened; this may help people trying to stream multiple instances of veado mini :]
if you follow me elsewhere, you probably heard that i had to close my patreon! i realised the way i work doesn't fit the monthly subscription model where i'm expected to show how things are progressing, because i simply don't work steady like that.
what that means is that i'm still working on it, just not in the way i was before! i'm just, casually doing some explorations and taking my time and redesigning things. this means things should take longer on that side, but that i'm a lot more comfortable doing side things like keeping mini up to date, keeping in touch with the community, and so on.
what that also means is that now i have absolutely no stable income apart from veadotube mini donations! yay! if you like the project and what i'm doing, please do consider tipping me, be it in here or through ko-fi. it'll help like a lot.
also thank you to everyone who supported my patreon! it was a nice experiment and it's sad it didn't work out for me, but you guys were great and supportive all the time.
on another note, i redesigned the website recently! it's a lot simpler and casual to reflect the fact that it's just a little personal project of mine, but also, it has a brand new help page, with tutorials and all that! that's an effort to keep all the support info in an easy-to-index page, so people can maybe actually google for help instead of having to join a discord server for that.
i think that's it for now. take care, be safe, and see you soon-ish :]